Thursday, December 1, 2011

Interview with author Lillian Duncan: faith mingled with ...murder and mayhem.

Why do I interview novelists on my encouragement blog? One reason is because our society needs good clean entertainment that also often provides spiritual encouragement as well.
I reviewed Lillian Duncan's book, Pursued,  on several online websites and gave it five stars. Now she has a new book coming out in a few days, Deception. So I've interviewed her to find out what makes her tick.
Here are the cover and a blurb about the book:
Twins are supposed to have an unbreakable bond, but Patti and Jamie have serious relationship issues. They haven’t spoken since Jamie ruined Patti’s upcoming nuptials years ago.  When a niece she knows nothing about telephones, Patti must unravel the yarn of Jamie’s life and her mysterious disappearance.Detective Carter Caldwell takes his job seriously, and it's his job to keep Patti and her niece safe. But Patti is determined to help find her sister. As the investigation grows more dangerous, Carter begrudgingly admits the safest place for Patti is at his side. Each step in their journey leads them closer to the truth but pulls them further down a road filled with danger and deception, where each will battle for survival and the lives of countless Americans.
ADA:   I like your signature tag, Faith mingled with …murder and mayhem.  I saw that in your first book, Pursued.  How did you happen to write these types of books?
 LILLIAN: I write the kind of book that I like to read. I love mysteries and suspense but mainstream novels in that genre became so full of four- letter words and explicit sex scenes, I stopped reading a lot of them.  So, when I started writing, it was natural for me to write action, mystery, and suspense.
ADA:    Tell us about your new novel, Deception. Is it the same genre?
LILLIAN: Deception is a suspense novel with a romantic subplot, but it’s not considered romantic suspense because it’s more suspense than romance. I hope that makes sense.
ADA: What is your background in writing?
LILLIAN:  I’ve been writing for 16 years. I have four published novels, all have some form of action/adventure and suspense in them.  My fourth novel, Pursued, was released in July after a five year break from my third release.
ADA:  Your ultimate goal?
LILLIAN: To write stories that entertain Christians and non-Christians as well.
ADA:  Your biggest challenge?
LILLIAN: Marketing.  I’m a bit on the shy side and do not like the marketing aspect that comes with being a published writer.  I’m starting to get the hang of it, though!
ADA:  Your ultimate satisfaction?
LILLIAN: I’d be thrilled to have one of my novels become a best seller...but I’m just happy writing stories that get published and my readers enjoy.
ADA:  What advice do you have for aspiring writers?
LILLIAN: Start writing NOW!  Don’t wait until you learn what you think you need to know before you write.  If you are a life-long reader (and most fiction writers are), then you will have an instinct of what to do. Not that we don’t need to learn more but the best way to become better at writing is...to write!
ADA:  Are you a full-time writer?
LILLIAN: Well...if you count the hours I put toward writing in a year’s time, then I’d say yes, I am. If you mean do I have another job that helps pay the bills, then no I’m not a full-time writer. However, I am semi-retired which allows me plenty of time to write.
ADA:  How do you fit writing into your life?
LILLIAN: I don’t fit writing into my life. Writing is a big part of my life and most of my other activities get fitted in around my writing.  My husband knows that I’m going to go up to my office and write for a few hours on work days and that I’m going to spend at least 3-5 hours there on non-work days and he’s okay with that.
I wouldn’t be a writer right now without his encouragement and support.
ADA: Where can your books be purchased?
LILLIAN: they can be found on most of the major online bookstores—Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Also on my publishers website at www.whiterosepublishing.com 
Lillian Duncan lives in Ohio Amish country with her husband, four parrots, one Jack Russell, and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Whether as a speech-language pathologist, an educator, or as a writer, she believes in the power of words to change lives, especially God’s Word.Lillian believes books can be entertaining without being trashy. She writes the types of books she loves to read, suspense with a touch of romance. Her newest release is PURSUED and her fifth novel, DECEPTION, will be released on December 30th . Her website is: www.lillianduncan.net and her blog is www.lillianduncan.wordpress.com.  Follow her on Twitter at @LillianDuncan.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this, Ada. I enjoyed getting to know a little bit about Lillian, as well as her novel.

    ReplyDelete