Sunday, April 15, 2012

BURDENS? FIND A BALANCED LIFE

Meet Terrie Thorpe, author of Am I Really Saved?, Answering Questions of Christians and Footsteps of Jesus. She is a teacher and freelance writer. Has written of over 100 articles on the life of faith on her weblog "Light for the Journey" and is a regular contributor to several online weblogs. She enjoys living in the Pacific Northwest with her husband.
Her second book is “Footsteps of Jesus – Becoming a Disciple.” This work has been two years in the making and is now complete. As you can tell by the title, it is about discipleship, but with a twist.

Summary of Footsteps of Jesus:
Using her college experience as a backdrop, Terrie draws the parallel between a disciple of Jesus and a student. Using examples from college admission through internship marking the course of a developing disciple. With a blend of scripture stories and real-life experience, she shows even if life throws curve balls, we are never out of the game.

Unequally Yoked

By Terrie Thorpe

Isaiah 26:3-4 “You will keep in perfect peace all those who trust in you, whose thoughts are fixed on you. Trust in the Lord always, for the Lord God is the eternal rock”

Feeling tired? Do you wake up in the morning under pressure to be everything to everyone in your life? Do you force yourself out of bed to perform all the tasks that leave you exhausted? Do you wonder “Where’s the joy? Where’s the reward for all the hard work?”
We work harder than any generation before us, but the harder we work the further behind are, playing catch up with every step. Who is that unseen taskmaster who so brutally drives us on? Take a look in the mirror.
Christians are the hardest taskmaster in the world. We feel to be approved by God, we must be gracious, forgiving, serving tirelessly, and devoting ourselves to be everything to everyone. Being the perfect husband; perfect wife; having the perfect home; raise perfect children, and serve, serve, serve! This is the lie of the enemy and it has been firmly cemented into Christian life.
We have taken on the yoke of bondage willingly, because we don’t understand what the scriptures say. Many are familiar with the phrase “Unequally yoked” and equate it to being married to an unbeliever, but that phrase applies to all of our relationships. It simply means: opposing forces or not walking together.
Jesus said, “Come to me all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke fits perfectly, and the burden I give you is light” (Matthew 11:28-30 NLT).

A yoke is a wooden bar or frame by which two draft animals are joined at the heads or necks for working together. Can you imagine a cow with a calf in the barn yoked with an ox? I imagine the cow would continuously pull toward any direction, fighting the yoke, while the ox would relax and steadily pull toward the goal.

We know as Christians that the life of faith is not easy. When we accepted Jesus as our Savior, our troubles didn’t end, but we made a commitment to follow Jesus.
Although we have been set free from sin, we still struggle with worldly issues. As I allow issues to come into my life, they rob my joy, cause fear and damage my faith in the Lord. Some things are worse than others and there are times I just can’t take much more.
“I can’t wait for Jesus to come-I am so tired of this fight!” I said to a friend one day. But it is not supposed to be this way. I have allowed myself to become unequally yoked with Jesus. I’m pulling toward all the things I think I need to do when He says, “just keep plodding on with me and we’ll get there!”
Where do we turn when life gets too much for us? We need to go to the Word of God. In His Word we will find truth, hope and strength to face the challenges.
Psalms 34:17-19 “The Lord hears His people when they call to Him for help. He rescues them from all their troubles. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted. He rescues those who are broken is spirit. The righteous face many troubles, but the Lord rescues them from each and every one.”
Deuteronomy 31:6 “Be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid of them! The Lord your God will go ahead of you. He will neither fail you or forsake you.”
I have discovered when I’m tired and overwrought, I need to return my focus to the Lord. If I allow Him to guide me, he gives me strength and courage to let go of those things that pale with His love and power..
He’ll work great miracles for you as well--if you remember His yoke is easy and His burden is light.
© Terrie Thorpe April 15, 2012

Footsteps of Jesus - Becoming a Disciple" link to purchase: https://www.createspace.com/3629758

Terrie's blog, "Light for the Journey": http://www.4everhischild-tathorpe.blogspot.com/ and to my author webpage http://authorterriethorpe.weebly.com/

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Ada for allowing me the opportunity to Guest Blog on your webpage. Blessings to your readers.

    ReplyDelete