Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Interview with novelist Dana Pratola

DESCENDED
By Dana Pratola


Men like Sebastian want only one thing, and Natalie has vowed not to give it to him. Yes, he’s gorgeous, intelligent and heroic, but he’s also a constant reminder that she isn’t good enough for him. Can she outrun a club owner who wants her dead when she’s weighed down by the failures of her past? 

His whole life, Sebastian has viewed women one way – as marvelous distractions. But when Natalie enters his life, he’s forced to see the world – and women – in a new light. Teaming with Jett Cestone, they enter a world of sex traffickers to rescue young innocents. But only Natalie can rescue him and give him the one thing his heart needs. 



1. What drove you to become a writer?   >> God. It was always there, always in me as long as I can remember. It took me a while though to realize He gave it to me for a reason.

2. What caused the greatest satisfaction in your writing so far?  >> Finishing is always wonderful, LOL. I’m a great starter, but getting mw to finish a project is another story. But I have to say the BEST part is when I get emails from people who say they were touched by my work and that they see things a little differently after reading my books. LOVE that.

3. What are your goals? >> To see as many people come to the Lord as possible through my books. It’s so important to spread the word that God isn’t mad at anyone, just come. There’s a Salvation prayer at the end of Descended~Sebastian (ebook), and I pray unsaved readers see it and give their hearts to Jesus.

4. How long did it take to get Descended published? >> It was written over a two-year period, roughly, and then I indie published it. The publishing part was easy – well, with help from a friend J

5. To be published by Pelican Book Group is a nice achievement. Were you accepted by an agent before you received a contract? >>  No, when I submitted The Covering to Nicola Martinez of PBG (then White Rose Publishing), I had never submitted anything anywhere. The Lord led me to an online conference and I was blessed to get a pitch session with Nicola. It was a 5 minute Q&A session and she requested the full manuscript. It was all God.

 6. Where did Sebastian and the Descended idea come from?  >> It started with a story I was working on about a recluse who falls in love with someone he thinks he can never have because she’s too “normal” for him. It was basically pages and pages of conversations they would have, her never having seen his face. Then I started to build around it, thinking, well, why wouldn’t she have seen him if they’re living in the same house? The idea of being descended from angels just came, and the notion that they aren’t fully angelic, but live as well-adjusted humans but with super abilities. Thus, Jett was born, the first in the series.

7. I presume Sebastian is the first of a series of interesting descendants in a notable family? Who's next, and is that book in progress? >> Sebastian is the second, Jett is first. Aaro, the third, is started and I hope to get rolling with him when I get past the holidays. After him will come Ulrick, the final of the four.

8. Do you have an interesting bunch of  relatives that influence you? How do they influence? >> Interesting is putting it mildly. I’m around my kids most of the time, and no one makes me laugh like they do. Never a dull moment.

9. Is there a spiritual payload to this series? >> I want readers to close this series with the knowledge that God loves them and has made provision for His children. It’s available to everyone, no matter what we’ve done. There’s always a change to look at your life and say, I’ve done it my way long enough, now I want to do it His way.

10. Anything else you'd like to add? >>  Thanks so much for having me. And I pray you and all your readers have a FANTASTIC holiday!!



EXCERPT FROM DESCENDED

Natalie could become a significant hindrance to moving forward, especially now that he found himself suddenly filled with the beat of her heart. It thudded in his chest, a perfect accompaniment to his. He was breathing, finally, but it was her rhythm, faster, more shallow than his own. He blinked and pulled back.
“I know this isn’t the time for this....” He shook his head. “Forget it.”
“No, what?” she asked.
It was insane. Nuts! “Can I kiss you?” he asked. Natalie stared back. “Just once, for my own personal reference. I have to see if I’m off my nut or not.”
He took her silence for permission and leaned toward her. She met him half way.
He couldn’t say there were fireworks. There was heat, and light, but instead of quick, random bursts of energy and color, there was one long, white hot blaze.
This was bad. This was so bad.
As his lips pressed more firmly onto hers, as hers softened beneath his, his mind tumbled through time and space. And though he’d never felt anything like this—ever—he recognized the white light for what it was—an emergency flare. Not to signal the forces of nature to run to his rescue and prevent disaster, only a marker, to pinpoint the wreckage of his former life.
Was it insane to believe this single kiss changed the course of his life? Because he did. He knew that even in these bizarre circumstances, something had just clicked into place and he was exactly where he was supposed to be. It felt right.
He was having such a hard time coping with his own overwhelming reactions that he almost missed hers. She was emotionally engaged, yes, nearly as much as he, nearly as confused, and holding back. Sensible. And necessary at this moment. One of them had to keep a firm grip on reason, and it wasn’t him. His thoughts ran to carrying her to the couch and indulging his fantasies until the sun rose.
But, the very next thought made his eyes pop open, his hands ball in his lap, his head lift. Jett could be watching.

 
Dana Pratola
  
God has blessed me with a wonderful husband and three dynamic kids, all of whom are destined to make wide, colorful splashes in this world. We live in New Jersey with our Maltese, Lola, Shih Tzu, Maggie (Magnolia) and German Shepherd, Jett. I have no hobbies to speak of, unless you include writing. I don’t.
God gave me a passion to write Christian Romance. These books don’t contain explicit sex scenes, but my characters have real desires, struggles and choices to make. A lot of the time they make the wrong ones. No subject is prohibited but good always triumphs. This is not your mother’s Christian fiction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment