Tuesday, July 7, 2015

A BAD DAY FOR FISHING. GUEST POST BY AUTHOR RENEE BLARE

Photo by L. Gunderson

By Renee Blare
God is good…all the time.


A Bad Day of Fishing
Rain pours from the sky. The boat’s filling with water. The dog smells like—well, let’s just say, he stinks, and I haven’t had a bite all day. On my soggy lunch or fishing line. It’s a bad day at the hole.

I contemplate the gray clouds. Should I throw in the towel and head to the dock? They don’t look so bad. And a little rain never hurt anybody or so my grandfather used to say. I hunch forward against the lash and pitch my line once again only to wince when water runs down my neck.

Surprisingly, several casts later, only a soft drizzle strokes at my back. Blue sky peeks on the horizon. Hope blooms as there’s a break in the clouds, and sunlight shimmers across the water. Well, not for my sandwich. I offer my mushy bread to an eager feathered friend and the roast beef to the pup.

After one more unfruitful cast, faith in my fishing hole officially dies. I need to find a new place to dip my worm. I fire the motor and putt along the edge of the lake, maneuvering through a forest of stumps. Pushing the bow toward the bank, it caresses a cypress tree’s drapes of moss. A cascade of butterflies sweep the air.

Silence descends with the cut of the engine, and I toss my anchor overboard. I’ve found it: The Spot. I peg the small alcove with a flick of my wrist. The bait sinks beneath the surface while my bobber dips along with the dwindling waves.

After settling the pole into the holder, I find a comfortable position and close my eyes as my dog curls around my stretched legs. The small fishing hole fills my senses…the gentle slap of water against the hull, birds chirping in the new light, a soft breeze blowing the fresh-washed air.

As heat from the sun seeps the tension from my bones, I lift my gaze to the clearing skies and realize that even a bad day of fishing’s still a good day.

Nahum 1:7 (NKJV) “The LORD is good, A stronghold in the day of trouble; And He knows those who trust in Him.”


To Soar on Eagle’s Wings:
 Book One: The Snowy Range Chronicles

By Renee Blare

Back Blurb:

Spring’s in the air. While the sun shines in Timber Springs, snow falls on the Snowy Range, and trouble’s brewing in the meadows. The area’s new game warden, Steve Mitchell launches his first wildlife investigation of the season but the trouble follows him—straight to town.

Rachel Fitzgerald’s on Spring Break. Or at least she’s trying. Between paperwork, and harassing phone calls, she may as well have stayed in her classroom. So much for relaxation. A ‘chance’ meeting with her brother’s old roommate offers her weary soul a shred of hope, but she discovers love, like life, isn’t easy.

He talks with the wisdom of the Lord but rejects the future. She wants to soar with the eagles but walks alone. And trusting God proves to be more of a challenge than ever before…


Amazon link:




Renee Blare Bio:

Raised in Louisiana and Wyoming, Renee started writing poetry in junior high school and that, as they say, was that. After having her son, a desire to attend pharmacy school sent her small family to the University of Wyoming in Laramie, and she's been counting pills ever since. While writing's her first love, well, after the Lord and husband, she also likes to fish and hunt as well as pick away on her classical guitar.
Nestled against the Black Hills with her husband, crazy old dog and ornery cat, she serves the community of northeastern Wyoming as a pharmacist and pens her Christian stories, keeping them interesting with action and intrigue, of course. She loves to interact with readers and invites you check out her website, blog, and social media.
Website: http://www.reneeblare.com/
Group Blog: http://diamondsinfiction.blogspot.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment