Jesus came to earth to demonstrate who He is.
Eleven people closest to Him wrote about Who Jesus Christ is. We can read their testimonies in the New Testament. According to tradition, all gave their lives because of their faith in Him, with the exception of John, who died in exile on Patmos Island.
In his book, "Evidence that Demands a Verdict," Josh McDowell wrote that no one would give his life for something he knew was a lie.
The disciples were there when Jesus walked on water, calmed the storms, fed thousands on a bit of fish and bread, healed the sick, raised the dead, died on a bloody cross in agony for our sins, and rose from the dead three days later.
These men knew Jesus. But we also may know him.
By becoming one of us Jesus:
1. Demonstrated concern about our eternal destiny. "In my Father's house are many mansions. I go to prepare a place for you ... that where I am you will be also." (John 14)
2. Demonstrated he cares about our lives. "The thief (Satan) comes to steal and destroy but I come that you might have life to the full." (John 10:10)
3. Demonstrated concern for our physical needs. He healed the sick and fed His followers.
4.Demonstrated power over our emotional needs by healing the brokenhearted and comforting those who mourn.
5. Demonstrated the need to resist Satan by sending the tempter fleeing when the devil came to Him (Matthew 4:1-11). Satan wanted Jesus to start a "reality show" by turning stones into bread, jumping off the pinnacle of the temple without a parachute. Then He offered Jesus rulership of the world, which is laughable since Jesus was there at creation. Hebrews 4:15 says, "This HIgh Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same temptations we do, yet he did not sin."
6. Demonstrated compassion. He was not annoyed by interruptions; he loved on children; cried at Lazarus' death; and restored Peter to the ministry even after Peter denied he knew him.
7. Demonstrated his power not only to stop storms, but to change lives. The sinful woman at the well experienced a transformed life. So did the man delivered from demon possession who dwelled among the tombs, so wild he couldn't be chained. He cut himself and cried day and night. Suddenly he was delivered and in his right mind. (Mark 5:1-15)
Jesus didn't use his power to draw attention to himself, but because He loves people.
8. Claimed to be God and demonstrated His divinity by walking out of the tomb alive, verified by many witnesses. He said, "The truth is, I existed before Abraham was even born!" (John 8:38 NLT)
9. Demonstrated His love for humankind by dying on the cross in order that death would be swallowed by life (2 Corinthians 5:3-5). For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16)
10. Demonstrated how He will come back for His church when He was taken up before their very eyes and a cloud received him out of their sight. An angel told the 500 men and other dumbfounded believers, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven." (Acts 1:9-10).
That's who Jesus is. Do you know Him?