Friday, September 6, 2013

HOW FAR WOULD YOU GO TO AVENGE YOUR DAUGHTER'S DEATH? Interview with Carole Brown

About the book:
How far would YOU go to avenge a daughter’s cruel death? Cara is considered rebellious and inappropriate to befriend. Dayne is the apple of Elder Simmons’ eye—until he takes a stand against their teachings. Can his prayers and love reach Cara and show her the way to redemption? Will Cara realize God’s love and forgiveness before she goes too far?

The Redemption of Caralynne Hayman is a novel of hope shining through the darkness with strong elements of suspense and romance and was a semifinalist in the Genesis contest. Release date is September, 2013, so it's available! From the Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas, an American Christian Fiction Writers approved publisher. Look for the book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=The+Redemption+of+Caralynne+Hayman&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3AThe+Redemption+of+Caralynne+Hayman  or request it at your favorite book store or library!

Carole Brown interview for Ada Brownell 

1. How long have you been writing?
Almost all my life. My first attempt I remember was in the sixth grade: we were assigned homework to write a week long’s journal of a caveman family. It was fun, and I wish I still had that paper!
2. I understand this is your first book. How long did it take you to write it, including research, character descriptions, and that sort of thing.
From the time it began until the time of publishing, I’d say a good two years. I do a lot of editing as I go, more as I receive critiques, and then after I received the contract, I had more editing to do. It’s a long haul to put out the best book you can, and I like to do--not a good job--but I great one. Not saying I wouldn’t miss something, but hopefully not. J
3. Have you ever known a murderer or a murder victim?
Yes, I have. In this day and age, it would be fortunate if a person didn’t. I haven’t had any in my immediate family, but in our ministry and regular life, I have. It’s a sad and frightening situation, but looking at it from a distance and as material, it’s an interesting bit to use for suspense novels.
4. Is your main character a person who has to deal with the anger that would result?
Oh, my, yes. Caralynne is a person, through unfortunate circumstances, who is thrown into the cult (The Children of Righteous Cain) as a child. She lives their life as they require until she loses a child. She can endure her own abuse, but to a child, and hers? Anger and bitterness and the lust for revenge shoot her straight into the character of a vengeful person. In spite of her normally sweet and caring spirit. Of course, you have to realize, Cara doesn’t even believe God exists. How could she when he let her little girl die?
Fortunately, Dayne returns to the cult, not as the minister the cult leader wants, but as a changed man. A man who’s met God.
5. What gave you the idea for the book?
Lots of people want to know this. J  I was seeking to write a different novel than my usual suspenses. My husband and I enjoy keeping up with unusual news items in the world, and the cult situation in Texas (several years ago) caught our attention. We began “what if” session, and Dan, my husband, came up with the idea of a cult group and a woman who loses a child through abuse. The story developed from there.
Ÿ  How would she feel?
Ÿ  Could she forgive?
Ÿ  If she didn’t have God in her heart, how far would she go?
And the question begs to be answered. Could you--or I--forgive? I know it’s easy to say, with God’s help I would. But I’ve seen people’s reactions. I’ve wept with them over the inexcusable deaths that happen, and I will say, sometimes, most of the time, it takes God. Without him--it’s a seemingly impossible act.
6. Do you believe you could look a murderer in the eye and believe he was innocent?
Could I look him in the eye and believe his innocence if I had good reason to believe he was innocent? As long as I had strong evidence that way, regardless of what the authorities said, I could believe it. But it would have to be strong.
Criminals are always innocent. (So they say).
But I believe there are a few men and women who are in jail wrongfully. I also believe there are some who have been given too stiff of punishments and some with too little. But we use what we have. A faulty system that makes mistakes. I just pray I’m never caught up with dealing with it personally, not for myself or any of my family.
7. Have you ever visited a prison?
Yes, but not often. My husband has because of his ministry so he is a good resource, plus I know and use the knowledge from friends, critique partners, and others who know quite a bit of the judicial system.
8. What in the protagonist’s character causes the drive to seek revenge?
Her love, especially for her daughters, but also her love for her friends and the children of the group. I’ve been told it’s almost as if I had been through this with the depth of the feeling in the novel.
A real, true mother’s love is a wonderful precious emotion. I remember my own boundless love for my boys and now for my grandsons. I cannot imagine the horrible grief, the terrible emptiness that surrounds you and fills you with unbearable heartbreak.
And I can see a strong and determined woman, though misguided by her own thinking, acting on her need for revenge. It’s happened in Biblical days, the western days years ago, and even today. Why not in a secluded cult world?
9. Is the spiritual a key element of this book? Why?
Forgiveness. Redemption without forgiveness can not happen. Cara does not experience salvation in this book. But I do show her changing, a blossom of faith erupting within her mind and heart. And that is the first step. A big step toward forgiveness and redemption.
10. What is your next book? Your future plans for your writing career? What you hope to do?
If there is a second book after The Redemption of Caralynne Hayman, and I think there will be, then Dayne and Cara will suffer new trials through an enemy just like Joseph of Biblical days, and these trials will drive them to the depths of despair. But it will bring them closer to each other and to God.
I’m also working on a lighter project set in a time era I’ve not written in before--the late 1800s. My agent is shopping a contemporary suspense set in Montana, and I also have begun the second book in a suspense series set in WWII, my favorite era.
I am also releasing the first book of a cozy mystery series, called Hog Insane, which should be out the middle of October. And no (laughing), it’s not about pigs! But it’s a fun cozy, and I think it will be a nice read for those who like a little lighter book than The Redemption of Caralynne Hayman.

Thank you, Ada, for the invitation to visit your lovely blog! And, of course, I offer a digital copy of The Redemption of Caralynne Hayman.



Carole Brown’s debut novel, The Redemption of Caralynne Hayman, was a semi-finalist in the Genesis contest. Besides being a member and active participant of many writing groups, she enjoys mentoring beginning writers. She loves to weave suspense and tough topics into her books, along with a touch of romance and whimsy, and is always on the lookout for outstanding titles and catchy ideas. She and her husband reside in SE Ohio but have ministered and counseled across the country. Together, they enjoy their grandsons, traveling, gardening, good food, the simple life, and did she mention their grandsons?

WATCH FOR SPECIAL PROMOTIONS FOR THIS BOOK ON CAROLE'S BLOG
I’d love to connect with readers at:

I also participate on:
Barn Door Book Loft: http://www.barndoorbookloft.net




4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Ada, for giving me the opportunity to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think The Redemption of Caralynne Hayman is going to be a great book and I can not wait to get a copy of it and read it !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment. I'm sure the author will appreciate reviews! Again, the link to purchase the book is http://www.amazon.com/dp/1938499948/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chrissy! I can't wait until you can. Soon . . . Love you, girl.

    ReplyDelete