Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Problems with a stepmother?


                                             By Ada Brownell
“I hate her! My dad does all sorts of nice things for her he never did for Mom.”
I’d spiritually mentored Sue[1] since she was age 15 and her mother died. I knew she needed her new stepmother, a fine Christian woman.
 I took a deep breath and prayed for wisdom. Words seemed to pop out of me spontaneously. “Remember, your dad does nice things for her because he wishes he’d done them for your mother.”
 Sue ended up having a wonderful relationship with her stepmom and after more than 40 years, they’re still close.
I’ve had numerous times in my life where God sent me words to say in situations where I couldn’t have come up with a good answer on the spot. I told those words to Sue when I was only age 20 myself. The words came quickly and were so different from what I would say ordinarily, I believe it was the Holy Spirit.
I’ve had occasions when I failed to speak what I heard in my spirit, and the words vanished. Paul admonished Timothy, “Do not neglect the gift that is in you, which was given to you by prophecy with the laying on of the hands of the eldership (1 Timothy 4:13-15).
I need God’s Gifts at work in my life. I pray for the Holy Spirit to work through me because often when a critical need arises, I’m a wimp.
According to scripture, supernatural Gifts are for the edification of the church.[2] I thought that meant they were only vocally used in an assembled congregation. But I’ve learned the church sometimes is believers in the marketplace, building the church, like Peter and John when they took the hand of the lame beggar at the temple gate. The beggar, leaped, walked and praised God and attracted such a large crowd Peter began preaching and prophesying.
 I’m an ordinary person, so I realize why the supernatural work of the Holy Spirit is called a Gift. What better present can I receive from my Heavenly Father than the gift of the Holy Ghost, and the accompanying miraculous works of His Spirit in me?
I know the words I gave a  friend about her stepmother were just what she needed.
God is still speaks through His people today. If you want to know more about the work of the Holy Spirit  read the New Testament, especially the Book of Acts, and the epistles.
Take your problems to Lord and ask for wisdom. Then expect the amazing.
Copyright Ada Brownell





[1] Not her real name
[2] 1 Corinthians 14
[3] Acts 3,4

No comments:

Post a Comment