Tuesday, October 25, 2016

A FRIEND IN NEED


By LeeAnn Betts


           
    There was a picture on the news of a horse that got stuck in mud for three hours and it took a number of rescue personnel three hours and a lot of hard work to haul it out. Apparently, the horse’s owner was walking along the beach with this horse when it sank unexpectedly into this quicksand-like mud.

As I read this story, I thought about the quicksand-like mud I often find myself in. Situations I didn’t expect, repercussions I hadn’t envisioned. Like this woman, walking merrily along on my way, when suddenly and without warning the ground gives way beneath me and I’m sucked down.

While I’ve never actually fallen into quicksand of the physical icky kind, I have been entrapped in spiritual quicksand. This most often happens when I listen to the wrong voices in my head.

Yes, I know what you’re thinking. As writers, we all have voices in our heads. Characters, plots, subplots all dance around our noggins like fireflies at a flashlight convention.

I’m talking about the wrong voices. That would be the ones that say things like, “Who told you that you could write?” or “Nobody wants to read this drivel.” How about, “You need to get out and get a real life.” And the killer one, “God can’t use you. Look at all the bad stuff you’ve done.”

I hear these voices, and I suspect you hear them, too.

Up until recently, I listened to a voice that told me I shouldn’t get involved in any form of social networking because it would just eat up my time. That voice also said nobody wants to be your friend, nobody wants to read what you write, nobody signed up for your devotional before, stop wasting your time and spend more time doing “real” writing.

All of that was until my agent told me, “You need to get on Facebook. You need a blog.”

Since then, I’ve met some great people, laughed at some good jokes, and seen some funny cartoons. I’ve also connected with a bunch of people who blessed me with their kind comments, and I’ve met a couple of ladies who need some encouragement.

When I look at the picture of the woman and her horse in the mud, I think of all the great people who have come alongside me as I take this next step in my writing career, standing by me, encouraging me, comforting me when I get scared. I think of how God has placed them there for me. And how, perhaps, He has placed me here for someone else.

This week, as you contemplate your writing journey, consider the direction the Lord would take you. He has good plans for you, for your writing, and He just might bring someone else into your life through this plan so you are both encouraged, uplifted, and edified.


Here is the spotlight for “Broke, Busted, and Disgusted”:
Join forensic accountant Carly Turnquist in her fifth adventure in the By the Numbers series. Carly’s best friend in Bear Cove, Maine is smitten with a younger man, and Carly is suspicious of his motives in courting her friend. When a previous client who blamed husband Mike’s computer program for losing inventory and money is found dead, Mike is the prime suspect. And he’s missing, with video showing a man matching his description maxing out their credit cards and emptying their bank account. Can Carly find Mike before the police do? And can she save her friend from making a huge mistake?



Author Bio:

Leeann Betts writes contemporary suspense, while her real-life persona, Donna Schlachter, pens historical suspense. She has released four titles in her By the Numbers series, with Broke, Busted, and Disgusted due for release November 2016. In addition, Leeann has written a devotional for accountants, bookkeepers, and financial folk, Counting the Days, and with her real-life persona, Donna Schlachter, has published a book on writing, Nuggets of Writing Gold, a compilation of essays, articles, and exercises on the craft. She publishes a free quarterly newsletter that includes a book review and articles on writing and books of interest to readers and writers. You can subscribe at www.LeeannBetts.com or follow Leeann at www.AllBettsAreOff.wordpress.com All books are available on Amazon.com in digital and print.

 Facebook: http://bit.ly/1pQSOqV



No comments:

Post a Comment