Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Invaders I don't invite in to my life


August 22, 2019

Dear Beloved Reader:

We have invaders!

My husband just came in from our “Flower-pot” garden, and he had a huge beautiful red ripe tomato in his hands, juice dripping from where a squirrel obviously took a bite. L

Life is full of “invaders,” some just a pest, and some downright dangerous. I had to smile recently when the news reported an invasion of tarantulas in La Junta, Colo., and I remembered my precious friend Sandy Tetley telling me about tarantulas. She grew up in La Junta, and I sang with her and her husband in the Damacus Singers for many years. She told me one summer the huge scary-looking tarantulas were so thick they covered the highway and as you drove you could hear their crunch under the tires because you couldn’t avoid them.

I’m told their bite isn’t that dangerous, but I wouldn’t want to try it and find out, although I’ve seen kids take tarantulas by the leg and go around scaring people. Probably being “scared to death” is more dangerous than the venom.

A big sea turtle came into the yard of our son, Jaron, earlier this week and his wife, son Tyler, and daughter Keira, rescued it after it tried to go through their playground. The turtle’s shell stuck in the equipment. I think they named her “Sally” and they’ll watch out for her when she lays her eggs in sand near the dock on their lake. Last year another turtle came and did that while they peeked.

The world has so many things for us to see, study and enjoy and we have little time to sample it all. As we know, knowledge is vital to our lives. Yet, we don’t need or want to know everything. I’m tired of news that seems to only report murder and mayhem. I’m a retired newspaper reporter (The Pueblo Chieftain) and I know the internet has taken a big gulp of newspapers’ budgets, but I keep wondering, “Can’t they hire a few observant reporters to find good news?”

There’s good news out there. Scientific knowledge, especially in health care, is constantly making advances in treatments and saving lives. Many achievers are doing fantastic things, and God is still working miracles, but most of these stories aren’t seeing the light of day.

 Some things I don’t want to know. Schools and universities now are assigning obscenity for youth to study. Once you’re exposed, you can’t get that stuff out of your head. I thank God for Christian schools and homeschooling. I’m also thankful I went to school in a different era—although in college I had to ask for a substitute for assigned and extra-credit books.

Too many Christians exposed to filthy language and obscenity are becoming immune to it. I heard a lot of it during my work years and I’ve prayed if I come down with Alzheimer’s’ or any other kind of dementia, I won’t speak what I overheard.

We know what we read, study, or hear can affect who we are. See how St. John was affected by experiences: “That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us; (1 John 1-2).

John was talking about Jesus and the Resurrection.

I have nine books: four fiction and five non-fiction, all written with great characters, suspense, and Stick-to Your Soul Encouragement. They contain knowledge you can use, even the fiction.  Get them here: http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001KJ2C06




1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree that what we our minds are exposed to will affect us in positive or negative ways. I am praying we don't become immune to the filth and that we show God's love through all our words and actions.

    ReplyDelete