Monday, August 15, 2011

A Prophet for This Generation

Worried about our nation, recently I prayed, “Lord, raise up a prophet to this generation.”
Yet, I didn’t see anyone rise up who could reach the millions who have never heard the true gospel or experienced or witnessed His mighty power at work—especially the youth of our country.
Last night I sat in a Wendy’s restaurant watching a frustrated young man continually dial someone on his cell phone and no one was answering. He left no voice message—just kept someone’s phone ringing. He dropped his head to his arms on the table. I couldn’t tell if he was tired or crying, but he rubbed his eyes on his sleeve before he lifted his head and went back to dialing.
Lord, if his girlfriend is dropping him, help him not to go over the edge and commit suicide. I knew from my work as a newspaper reporter that often happens.
I wondered if the teenager had been taught about Jesus. I thought how wonderful it would be if some great individual would preach the Word and reach thousands of young people like him.
I felt a prompting in my spirit. “You are the one.”
A favorite scripture ran through my mind as my husband and I ate. When we were ready to go, the guy sat there, still upset. I walked to the edge of his table and spoke quietly. “Are you O.K.?”
He nodded. “I’m just waiting for my girlfriend.”
I noticed a clear garbage bag filled with clothing on the floor beside him. “You look discouraged. Remember Jesus said, ‘In this world you will have tribulation. But be of good cheer. I have overcome the world.’”
He smiled. “Thank you.” I thought I saw relief on his face and light come on in his eyes.
We parted. I have no idea whether he’d heard the gospel before and a mother somewhere was praying. But I’ve come to realize the Lord raises up prophets for every generation. This is the way He builds His church. He told the 500 people gathered on the mountaintop as he prepared to ascend according to Acts 1:8, “You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you and you will be my witnesses.” Matthew tells us he said, “Go and make disciples of all nations.”
That’s our commissiom, too. I don’t know if my witness made a difference in the youth’s life, but it might have. I’ve discovered every one of God’s children is asked to answer the call to reach out to the lost, and I am called to “go.” His power will help me “be” a witness.

No comments:

Post a Comment