Saturday, December 24, 2011

The promise: Do you stagger?

Ever found your faith shriveled and weak?

Recently I've been praying for some specific needs, then wondered whether I'm up to fulfilling everything I feel God called me to do.

I've studied Hebrews 11, known as the Bible's "faith chapter," diligently.  But then one day I backed up into Hebrews 10 and found some things to which I should pay attention.

Beginning at verse 19 is advice to persevere. "Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful," we're advised. After prompting us to turn our backs on sin, remember what Christ has done for us and to continually meet together with believers (attend services) we are told, "Do not throw away your confidence: it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised."

I was reminded about what I read about Abraham. Although the man had waited--what seemed like forever--for God to fulfill his promise and Sarah tried to help God out, we're told, "He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God" (Romans 4:20)

Another scripture tells us to "not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not" (Galations 6:9).

The light dawned on me that the way to avoid staggering and fainting is to be strong and healthy spiritually. I do that by hearing the Word, believing the Word and then I can share the Word and believe God for great things.

I also know faith is an act of the will. I need to quit staggering and take the leap.

No comments:

Post a Comment