Monday, April 23, 2012

Gardening Tip: QUICK RAISED GARDEN

I took large old pottery flower pots, knocked the bottoms out, and made a raised garden. That end of our yard formerly was landscaped with white rock. I scraped away a circle of rocks about the size of the pot, dug a hole and set the pot halfway down in it. Then I filled the pot with 1/2 potting soil and 1/2 dirt and mixed. Now I have a long row of pots in a sunny place. The roots of the plants can grow as deep as they desire. Having the garden raised is better for the plants because there is sufficient drainage. I've been successful in growing zucchini, green beans and tomatoes in such a garden. We grow climbing blue lake green beans and they've grown higher than our heads on the fence. Yum! Fresh veggies out of the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment