Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Divine Dining Author Janet Brown Lost 95 Pounds

   
Janet Brown lost ninety-five pounds and has maintained the loss for seventeen years. One tool in my recovery remains the daily reading of inspirational books. I found my library incomplete when I searched for one that combined a twelve-step program with God as the Higher Power. The biggest secret to my success was giving up my will and letting God do it through me. I wrote a book of daily devotions that came from my journals and memories. This is one woman’s road for success. I pray these thoughts help others reach the same healing God gave to me. It’s all about God.
Divine Dining: 365 Devotions to Guide You to Healthier Weight and Abundant Wellness can be purchased at:



Sometimes We Just Need Help
By Janet Brown

     I’m a football fan, so fall is time for some football. Rivalry grows to a deafening roar on Friday night in Texas, but all in the stadium grow anxious and sad when a player is hurt. For a player with an injured leg to leave the field, two big players will anchor their teammate with one on one side and one on the other. The man can jump along holding up the bruised or crippled leg because others keep him upright.

But Moses’ hands were heavy, and they took a stone, and put it under him, and he sat theron; and Aaron and Hur stayed up his hands, the one on the one side, and the other on the other side; and his hands were steady until the going down of the sun.
                                    Exodus 17:12

     I detest weakness in myself. I desire to help others, not the other way around. That same mentality caused me years of emotional problems and compulsive overeating. Being a people pleaser can be exhausting. A perfectionist’s work is never done. Helping others requires giving of ourselves. If we always give without allowing God to replenish, we soon drag our feet. Often, God uses other people, but they can’t help if we never confess to a problem.
     This morning, I sat in service, tired in body and spirit. I love it when God uses me to pray for someone else, when I feel God’s power coursing through my prayers. Today, I was that one in need of prayer. I sat on that pew like a balloon that had lost its air. A hand slipped to my hand. A voice called out to God on my behalf. Strength from another flowed through my body and mind like healing water.
     Sometimes, we all need a little help. Have you allowed the spotlight to fall on your weakness lately? As the old spiritual song goes, “It’s not my brother, nor my sister, but it’s me, Oh, Lord, standing in the need of prayer.”
     Thank you, Lord, for reminding me that You don’t expect me to be superwoman. You want me to walk in Your strength. Without You, I am nothing, but God may want to use another of His servants to assist me.

     Janet K. Brown lives in Wichita Falls, Texas with her husband, Charles. Though she has written most of her adult life, since her retirement as a bookkeeper and medical coder, she writes as a second career and as a ministry. 
     Divine Dining is the author’s second book. It encompasses her passion for diet, fitness, and God’s Word.  Janet released her debut novel, an inspirational young adult, Victoria and the Ghost, in July, 2012. She continues to write short stories for teens and adults. The sequel to her young adult is contracted to release in June, 2014.
     She and her husband love to travel with their RV, visit their three daughters, two sons-in-law and three grandchildren, and work in their church. Find her at http:/ /www.janetkbrown.com on Twitter, @janetkbrowntx , on Facebook @  http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Janet-K-Brown-Author/143915285641707








5 comments:

  1. Thank you for having me as a guest today. I lost internet yesterday afternoon. We just got it fixed. How we rely on the web. Guess I need help on that, too. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted a comment once, but I don't think it took it. Thanks for having me, Ada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for being my guest, Janet. You've had an amazing accomplishment, and Divine Dining is a great idea! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Ada. Guess I'm on there twice. I've not had internet much the last 3 days, so that's probably the problem. I loved your post, also, on Lillian Duncan's blog. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the compliment. God bless you and your writing!

    ReplyDelete