Wednesday, August 6, 2014

If you think you're alone, you're wrong. Author Anita HIgman talks about Where God Finds You

NOTE: Leave a comment. Anita is giving away three copies of her Where God Finds You devotional book. The devotion below is not one of those in the book.


My Sweaty Little Grasp
By Anita Higman

“Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” Hebrews 13:5b (NIV)

            Life can be like a pretty yellow kite, soaring and dipping in the breeze, and life can also be like that same kite experiencing an unexpected gust only to plummet to the earth and break into pretty yellow pieces.
            In other words, I can’t fully control the kite. It’s controlled by the currents that are above and far out of reach. The kite string may be in my sweaty little grasp, but its final destination is anyone guess.
That was a lesson I learned when I traveled to Australia to meet my husband who was there working on assignment for his company. I left the house, knowing I wouldn’t be back for three weeks, and that I’d be very far away, so I planned for every kind of troubling scenario. I made sure all the faucets weren’t dripping. Check. Gates closed. Check. Electrical devices unplugged. Check. Windows and doors locked, alarm system armed. Check.
To be honest, my slight case of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder flared up into a blaze. It was so hard to let the house go and breathe again. But I did try to cover it all as best I could, so that when the driver picked me up I felt pretty satisfied that the house was somewhat disaster-proof. Yeah, right. Not even close. There was no way I could have known that my husband and I would have to fly home from Australia early because Hurricane Ike would hit our neighborhood and ruin one of the rooms in our house. It was impossible to plan for everything because I never really had our home under my control. Not even for a minute. I only thought I did.
The spiritual lesson here was hard to miss. Only God was and is in control of our house, my life, this world. We cannot know what tomorrow will bring, whether our pretty yellow kite will soar into the sky or smash into bits, but I do know God has promised never to leave us or forsake us. He will always be right here, holding us and helping us, ever by our sides working things for good no matter what the wild winds of life bring. These are promises that the whole world loves to make, but only God Almighty can keep.

Lord, I thank you that even in this fallen and broken world, you will never leave us or forsake us. Amen.  




No comments:

Post a Comment