Friday, December 4, 2015

FEAR THE FUTURE? REMEMBER THE SPARROWS' SONG



                         “Tweet Tweet” of the Sparrow

                                     By Ada Brownell

I’ve had an electric piano for several years and the other day I noticed a setting that said, “Bird.”
I decided to use it.  For years I’d played “His Eye is on the Sparrow” on the spinet piano and tried to tickle the keys occasionally so they’d sound like a bird singing.
So with my keyboard layered on settings of “orchestra,” “electric bass,” and “bird,” my fingers played my arrangement.  “Tweet-tweet” kept interrupting with a joyful sound as the words of the verse and chorus ran through my mind while I played.
A couple of days later at a women’s Bible study, a prayer request was made for children who fear the ever-present dangers of war. I related my story of the “Tweet-Tweet” song.  They laughed with me about my silly musical arrangement.  But as we discussed God’s watchful loving care and made other requests, we were reminded of the message in “His Eye is on the Sparrow.”  One woman in our group was facing a breast cancer biopsy.
Civilla D. Martin wrote the words to “His Eye is on the Sparrow” after traveling in 1905 to Elmira, New York, where she and her husband met Mr. and Mrs. Doolittle. Civilla thought the Doolittles were saints. Despite Mrs. Doolittle being an invalid for nearly twenty years, and her husband  in a wheel chair, the couple radiated with joy. They inspired everyone around them.
One day Civilla’s husband asked them for the source of their upbeat, positive attitudes. Mrs. Doolittle replied, "His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me."
The phrase stuck in Civilla’s mind. She put pen to paper and the song was born with the help of Charles H. Gabriel, who composed the music.
The song asks, “Why should I feel discouraged?” and concludes with “I know He watches me.”
The song was taken from what Jesus said: “Fear not…. Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing?  And one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.  But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows” (Matthew 10:28-31).
What Jesus said can help anyone filled with fear – fear of war, fear for health, fear of the future, or any other kind of fear. The Lord not only sees us, but He loves us, hears us and is with us wherever we go. 
©Ada Brownell
One of Ada’s six books is Swallowed by LIFE: Mysteries of Death, Resurrection and the Eternal.
Both the paperback and the Kindle editions are available at www.amazon.com under the author’s name.
                                   


No comments:

Post a Comment