Saturday, October 27, 2018

Mosquitoes and a Show Dog




MOSQUITOES AND A SHOW DOG

By Ada Brownell

No matter how old I get, I still make new discoveries.

A few days ago our son’s dog, Latte, died. He was 15.

He was one of those dogs with their hair hanging down around them like a stage curtain. Latte was so beautiful people often wondered if he was real. He looked like a stuffed dog you’d put on your bed for decoration.

Latte was a gift to our son and his wife. They had tried and tried to have a child. She had two or three tubal pregnancies, and one miscarriage. Our son, who has allergies, studied breeds to see which were best for people with allergies and I forget the breed Latte was, but he was special. He filled the empty arms of two people who needed love—and Latte filled their hearts with affection and joy.

Our son trained him with hand commands and showed him in dog shows for a while. Then they adopted two amazing children at birth, three years apart. Our children’s arms were filled, but they still had room for Latte. Latte was special to their children as well.

When we came to visit, he’d bark and make a pest himself until we stopped and said, “Hello Latte,” and gave him a few affectionate rubs.

After I heard the dog died, I shed the first tears I’ve shed for an animal and emailed our grandson. I told him some of the things I’ve learned lately.

 “We know you’ll hurt and you’ll miss Latte, but he gave you many wonderful memories. We still talk about our Macho once in a while. It’s amazing how God put the capacity to love into dogs, as well as cuteness. The Lord must have had lots of fun creating them and all the different breeds.”

I went on to say, “God’s creation is so amazing. I hate mosquitoes and the other day I was trying to kill one and it made me chase him down. If he hadn’t been in the house he’d have gotten away. But I thought about how tiny mosquito brains are and how they can see, know how to fly, buzz, eat, multiply, know they need blood in order to have healthy eggs, so they bite people. I don’t know why God made them except perhaps to be food for frogs.

“We think computers are amazing, but I wonder how they would compare to a tiny mosquito brain. Flies are even trickier than mosquitoes. They seem to know when I get the swatter out and they hide!

“For my next book I wrote about how amazing a peach blossom is. That little flower has life in it that not only will create a peach, if fertilized by bees, that peach will have a seed, and that seed could create a tree with several bushels of peaches—all with enough seed to plant a small orchard.

“The same God who made all those amazing things loves you and made you so you need Him. Jesus will help take the sorrow you have for Latte, and fill you with peace and joy once again. I don’t know if there are dogs in heaven, but animals are, because He’s coming back on a white horse. The Lord is amazing!”

Love you,

Granny

No comments:

Post a Comment