Tuesday, January 22, 2019

What Will We Do in Heaven?

Our grandson Brendan Wilson ready to catch the ball during an East High School game.




What Will We Do in Heaven?


By Ada Brownell




            "Will we play basketball in heaven?" a high school student asked me in the Sunday school class I taught. "If we do, it won't be any fun because everything will be perfect. Nobody would make any mistakes."

            I could have said, “Well, basketball is out.  First you’ll have to take harp lessons.  Then I think you’ll have to lose weight so you won’t fall through the clouds.... And you’d better not tromp on the flowers, or skateboard on the streets of gold....”

            Can you imagine teens wanting to go there? Maybe you wouldn’t want to go, either.

            Now that I’m older, I tell folks when I get my new immortal body I’m going to skydive, snow and water ski, and do all sorts of dangerous sports!

            You wonder, Well, what did you tell the kid who likes basketball?

Activities will be different


When the high school student asked that question, I had no idea what to say. I yelled “Help!” in my spirit, but silently for The Holy Spirit to give me something to help youth anticipate what our Heavenly Father has in store for us.  I had never even given such an idea thought, but suddenly I said, "Keith, I don't know if few’ll play games. But I believe heaven will be so much higher and so much better than what we have here on earth it's like comparing being a child to being an adult.

            "When you're a child, you play with dolls and toy cars. But when you are an adult you have real babies and drive a real car.

            "When you're a kid, if an adult would tell you that you can't play with dolls or toy cars after you get "big", the child would scream and holler and decide he didn't want to grow up. But once he does, he doesn't want the toys anymore because he has the real thing.

            "I think that's the way heaven will be. It will fulfill our every desire and give us so much joy what we had here will seem like child’s play."

            The Bible tells us heaven will exceed earthly experiences. "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him" (1 Corinthians 2:9).

            This is a paraphrase from Isaiah 64:4. But we do have some knowledge because God has revealed it to us by His Spirit, the next verse says.

            If we search the scriptures, we find out a lot about heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment