Thursday, January 8, 2009

GOING SOMEWHERE

We were traveling through Rifle, Colo., one evening when we hit the town square. People plopped on steps of businesses, leaned on walls and cars, scrambled around each other, while others' feet seemed glued to the sidewalk.

We stared out the car windows wondering what was happening and then heard the music. A small band with guitars, an accordion and brass instruments stood near a curb while plain-dressed singers belted out, "I have decided to follow Jesus."

An old whiskered fellow dressed in rags sat on the bank steps. Tears dribbled down his wrinkled cheeks.

Traffic made us go through the area slowly and I heard the familiar words and melody: "No turning back, no turning back."

As a soloist with a microphone sang a verse,"Though none go with me, still I will follow," I could see other weeping.

That was in the days when churches brought the Good News to the streets. Today you can read the words to the song and hear the tune on the internet by typing in the title.

I wondered how many people decided to follow Jesus that day. I imagine several. I made a similar commitment as a child and never turned back.

In my teens, with no friends my age who went to my church, worldly friends exposed me to what following another path would be like and I had to make a decision. I decided to follow Jesus. I've never regretted it and God has blessed my life beyond what I could ever dream.

If we follow Jesus, we're going somewhere--to the abundant life He promised as well as a glorious future for eternity.

I can't figure why so many trek the other direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment