Tuesday, January 20, 2009

KNOCK-KNOCK


Knock! Knock!

"Who's there?"

How many times did I hear those words when the children were growing up?

One day I'd said, "Who's there?" so many times if I'd kept a grain of sand for each, I'd have a beach. So, to throw the kids off their raft of questions, I said, "Knock! Knock!"

In unision they answered, "Who's there?"

"Belle."

"Belle-who?"

"Door-belle repairman."

They weren't impressed with my ingenuity, which I thought showed genius.

I grew tired of knock-knock jokes, but I've thought about knocking lately. Knocking not only is what we do when a door is locked, we also knock as a matter of courtesy and respect before we enter someone else's home or space--sometimes even when the door is unlocked or open. We don't just barge into someone's house. If we do it to a stranger, we'll be arrested!

I started thinking about knocking one day when my siblings and I discussed our loved ones who seem to have every reason to give their lives to God, yet they haven't made peace with Him. This we know: The Lord won't barge into their lives uninvited. God will never violate their freedom to choose whether or not to accept Salvation, despite our aching hearts and fervent prayers. Because of prayer, the Holy Spirit will continue to woo them, but will never take them by force to abundant life here and eternal life in the heaven.

Contrary to some which will kill if a person refuses to embrace their religion, Jesus gently waits for an invitation.

Jesus said, "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in and sup with him and he with me" (Revelation 3:20).

I keep asking the Lord to continue knocking on hearts of people I love. I believe many will hear His voice call to them and will open the door. What rejoicing will occur in my heart and in heaven when they do.

But they'll be excited, too. In my younger days people who accepted Jesus as Savior used to display joy that would make winners on Wheel of Fortune look like wimps.

Our church sings a rousing song, "I am a Friend of God! I am a Friend of God! He calls me 'Friend.'"

Being God's friend is awesome. I'm glad I opened the door long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment