Monday, July 29, 2013

ARE YOU READY TO FOLLOW? J.M. Downey talks about following and her book, A TIME TO SAY GOODBYE



J.M. Downey lives in the South with her husband and daughter. She has been writing since grade school and she earned a master's degree in English 2005. In her writing J.M. Downey focuses on women overcoming great adversity. 



Cotton plantation daughter, May Lynn Whitley sees nothing wrong with owning others. After all how would they fend for themselves if it wasn’t for gracious people like her family? But a handsome young preacher’s probing words and mesmerizing blue eyes unlock a new sense of justice and lead her on a journey that will change her life and soul. But she is betrothed and May Lynn’s controlling fiance’ will do anything to make sure they wed. Anything including destroying all that she holds dear. Set in Antebellum America, May Lynn’s adventure spans the Eastern Seaboard as she joins a movement she once scorned.


Following God’s path.
By J. M. Downey


I always wanted

to get a traditional publishing contract for one of my novels. I craved the approval, to be recognized for my work. To me self-publishing was only what writers did once they had been defeated by the publishing world. I thought if I self-published my family would see me as a hack, and I would never be respected in the writing world. It was all about pride. Not serving God.


I came
to indie-publishing after much prayer. One day during Church, I prayed that God would lead me down the path he had for my novels. Soon afterwards, the ACFW main loop had a discussion about the benefits of indie publishing. The more I read, the more I was drawn to this route. There was just something intriguing about keeping ownership of my novel instead of signing it over. So I started to move down that path. I already had my novel professionally critiqued with hopes of submitting it to publishing houses, so I believe my novel is in good shape. Just for the record I never got around to submitting it. Something was holding me back.  I found an awesome and low cost cover designer, and my family instantly approved and encouraged it. Now, they all can’t wait to buy the book. Once the decision was made, everything started to fall into place.

This must be

God’s will. Right now, I don’t know why God has led me down this path or if he will keep me on it. I’m sure there is a reason. I might not know until I walk through the heavenly golden gates. But one thought that keeps running through my mind is indie publishing produces a lot of affordable books. Most books are less than $ 5.00 in e-book form.

Which means

more people can afford my novel. And the more people that can afford my novel, the more possibilities God could use it to bless someone. I would like to make money from my work, but I understand, it is more important that God can use it to bring someone to him.

Sometimes that prideful twing builds in me where I wish a traditional publisher would give me that stamp of approval. However, I just remind myself, I only need one being’s approval, God’s.

See, I might have worked on the novel for 15 years, but it doesn’t belong to me. Neither does my talent. Nothing I own belongs to me. It belongs to the Lord. And it is His decision what happens to it. I just have to be ready to follow.

Purchase Time to Say Goodbye

Amazon Kindle: http://ow.ly/ncoql

OR

 http://www.amazon.com/Time-Goodbye-Abolitionist-Chronicles-ebook/dp/B00E32WKQI/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1374485792&sr=1-1&keywords=a+time+to+say+goodbye 

print


1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed reading this very much. I hope to be ready to publish before winter and this has given me another direction to pray about. I love the cover of your book, very appealing. It draws you to her eyes and they are very inviting. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete