Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Filled empty nest, hearts and fulfilled dreams--Jubilee!


By Peggy Trotter
Thanks for having me on, Ada! Such a privilege.  I’m extremely excited to share about my debut novel, Year of Jubilee! It’s been a long time coming. I’ve written since I was a child and always dreamed of becoming a writer and publishing novels. But you know, life can get in the way when God places other things in front of your dreams.
My family, my children—I was determined to do my best with them and that took most of my energy. Mix in a full-time job of teaching, and my free time literally disappeared. However, God impressed on my heart that my children were my most important responsibility early on. It yearned to raise them in the best possible way, guiding them ever towards Jesus Christ the Savior! Watching them both be baptized set a deep sense of satisfaction in my heart. Yet when they flew the nest, emptiness edged in! I remember praying for God to fill the void my grown children left in my heart. Oh, boy did He!
God reminded me of my first dreams and off I went! Only this time, I wasn’t going to just finish another manuscript, I was going to see it published. And here it is! I’ve been dreaming this novel in a variety of ways for probably 20 years.
Then six years ago, I hammered out the final version on the keyboard. And it’s only the beginning! I have another coming out Oct. 9th, entitled, Reviving Jules, a Christian Contemporary.
But let’s get back to Year of Jubilee.  Here’s a little excerpt for you:

“Ma’am, I have no reason to hide facts. Your former husband cheated at cards and Mose Brown shot him clean through.” He paused to gauge her reaction. When she gave none, he continued. “Mose is in jail now, waiting judgment.”
She stood with that pitiful gun. More than likely the weapon was more hazardous to her than him. Her lack of reaction set him to digging, and he was on his way back to start a new row when she finally spoke.
“You own this land now?”
He stopped again and nodded. “Yes, Ma’am.”
She let out a shuddering breath.
“I apologize about all this being sprung on you, but Colvin never mentioned a spouse. As a matter of fact, he assured me the place had been empty for six months.”
Rafe dug the sharp edge of the shovel into the sod with new effort. A wife. Or worse yet, a widow. A very neglected one. Anger roiled inside him. He wished Colvin were alive so he could thump the side of his head with this shovel. Here he’d purchased this land in the middle of nowhere, intending to build a successful farm, recover from humiliation, and avoid female entanglements. Now, he’d inherited a widow.
With teeth gritted, he tore into the soil. After turning over another three rows, he paused. She still stood there. Fine. He’d tell her the way it had to be.
“Listen, I’ll be glad to pay your fare anywhere. You just let me know, and I’ll go to town and buy you a stage or a steamer ticket. Shoot, I’ll even buy you a horse if that’s how you wanna go. Colvin had no business doing this to you and, as his cousin, distant though we were, the least I can do is get you home.”
Rafe had never seen hope slide off of a person’s face quite like it did from hers. Her skin paled and her mouth parted. The small woman’s intense eyes, dark as night, pleaded. For what? For kindness? For understanding? For help? Rafe wasn’t sure. Despite the mixed messages, he recognized the despair in the sag of her body. Uneasiness teemed in his gut.
She shook her head, her voice a mere whisper. “There’s nowhere.”
“Surely you’ve got somewhere you can go. Your folks’ house maybe? An aunt or uncle or even a cousin?”
She glanced away and the shotgun lowered until the barrel stabbed the ground. “I’m an orphan.”




You can purchase Year of Jubilee from Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Smashwords or any other reputable book sellers. You can catch up with me at these websites! Thanks for having me on your blog, Ada!

 Peggy Trotter is a small town Hoosier native who teaches 1st and 2nd grade at a small Christian School and writes Christian Romance in her spare time. God blessed her with a wonderful husband who cooks and helps clean while supporting her crazy dreams. She has two incredible grown kids, one fabulous son-in-law, and two rays of sunshine, commonly called grandchildren.


           Her website: peggytrotter.com



No comments:

Post a Comment