Monday, May 23, 2016

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR JODIE WOLFE--THE MAGNETISM OF AN HISTORICAL NOVEL

Interview with Jodie Wolfe

1. Why did you choose to write historical instead of contemporary novels?
I love reading historical romance so it makes sense that it's also what I like to write. I do occasionally read contemporary, but most times you'll find a historical book in my hands. J

2. What is your favorite historical era?
My absolute favorite era is the 19th century, probably because I grew up reading and watching Little House on the Prairie.

3. How you research the time period?
I've previously done a lot of research on my favorite era and then I fine-tune it when I have a certain time period I hope to convey. Like for Hearts Tightly Knit, I researched about The Children's Aid Society and the orphan trains. Fascinating stuff. J

4. What have you discovered that especially fascinated you?
I had heard about the orphan trains before, but never realized that children on the trains were as old as eighteen.

5. Do you have real people in your books, or are your character purely fiction?
My characters are purely fiction, although I did have an adult set of twin sisters who read through and advised me of whether or not I was getting the 'twin thing' right.

6. Who is the character that almost sprang from the page that you can’t forget?
That's a hard question. I guess I would have to say Luke. A lot of times I'm able to figure out my hero before the heroine. I'm not sure why…maybe because I grew up with brothers and had sons. J

7. What have you allowed to happen to a character that you regret?
Sorry, I can't think of anything. I put my characters through difficult times and have them work their way through it…much like we have to in life. I throw my characters in rough situations to see how they handle it…do they try to do things on their own or do they seek the Lord for help. They have to make that choice and deal with whatever consequences arise.

8. Do readers sometimes complain?
Well, since this is my first book in print, I haven't had anybody complain yet. J Although I do have some other stories where my beta readers aren't happy when troubles arise…but that's what keeps them reading.

9. Is marketing your greatest challenge, as it is for many authors?
This is my first time to dip my toe in the marketing aspect of writing and promoting a book and it has been daunting at times. How do I get notice in a noisy world? I'm not sure if I have much to say on that yet. J

10. What haven’t you done with your writing that you’re just aching to do?
I'm still aching for that first book contract. Praying God will open the doors in His timing, His way.

11. What is your favorite character from other writers’ books?
I'm not great at reading specific books after I've read them…so I'll have to draw on books from my youth to answer that question. My favorite character has been Laura Ingalls in the Little House on the Prairie series.

12. Is your Christian message easily woven into your books, or do readers need to look for it?
I try and provide history, hope, laughter, and happily ever after in each of my stories. The history and happily ever after are easy since I write historical romances. I love to laugh, so I try and sprinkle humor throughout my stories. I think it's funny…whether or not the readers do; they'll have to be the judge on that one. J Most importantly, I write about the hope we have in Christ. No matter what we are facing, He promises to be with us. I take great comfort in that and pray my readers do too.

Anything you would like to add?
Thank you for having me today, Ada. It's been fun.

SUMMARY OF HEARTS TIGHTLY KNIT

Orphaned at age ten, Ellie Stafford and her twin sister Mae made a vow—to stick together and never marry. Now in their mid twenties, they are bucking convention in Calder Springs, Texas, as women with respectable occupations who can take care of themselves. Ellie works at the Good Fixin's Diner and spends her evenings knitting garments for The Children's Aid Society. When a handsome local rancher shows up searching for a cook, she's hardly tempted, despite his good looks.


Luke Rogers owns a spread just outside of Calder Springs. It was running as smooth as cattle going through a chute until his cook up and marries and high-tails it back east. With no cook and a bunkhouse full of ranch hands ready to revolt, he persuades Ellie to temporarily fill in until he can hire someone else. He should have known better than to get tangled up with another woman.

http://ow.ly/w4WM3002Ucb


MEET JODIE WOLFE


Author Bio: Jodie Wolfe got bitten by the writing bug as a young girl after reading and watching Little House on the Prairie. She loves writing stories about feisty heroines and strong, godly heroes. The power of story to influence lives and change hearts is what motivates her to weave tales that tell of the Savior's faithfulness and forgiveness. Her books provide history, hope, laughter and happily-ever-after. When not writing she enjoys spending time with her husband in Pennsylvania, reading, walking, and being a Grammie. Learn more at www.jodiewolfe.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment