Sunday, January 13, 2013

HELPING RELATIONSHIPS IN 2013-- HONEY-DO'S WITH SWEETNESS


I was interviewing Dr. Joyce Brothers, psychologist and television personality,for the newspaper where I worked when she said something that caught my attention.
“Married people should thank each other more often,” she said.
Her idea was to stop nagging your mate to do a job that needs doing. “You ask kindly and, if or when the job is done say, ‘Thank you,’” Brothers said.
She emphasized that mates treated in this fashion will help one another more, and the atmosphere in the home will change for the better.
I tried her advice, and it works. No, it didn’t happen the first couple of thank yous, but when I showed appreciation, I got more help. My own attitude also improved.
God gave us similar advice in the Bible. The loving person is kind, joyful, patient, gentle, faithful and full of self control. These are all fruit of the Holy Spirit and need to be cultivated (Galatians 5: 22).
Let us not be among those who in the perilous last days are unthankful, Paul told Timothy. (2 Timothy 3:2).
Thanking one another with kindness is a step away from that crowd.
©Copyright Ada Brownell 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment