Thursday, January 10, 2013

WICKEDNESS OR RIGHTEOUSNESS?





WEIGH THE RISKS FIRST
BEFORE SKATING ON THE RIVER

By Ada Brownell
My father always told me not to go near the river. I didn’t until one winter when I was about 12 years old, my friends suggested we go ice-skating there.
I declined at first, but soon grabbed my skates.
The river was probably a mile or so from my home, but I didn’t mind the walk in the near zero temperature. These girls didn’t usually hang out with me, but they knew I could skate and invited me.
Tranquil water had frozen in a little tributary of the mighty Colorado, and we skated and skated. Suddenly we noticed it was about dark.
Quickly we put on our shoes and started toward home. My feet were beginning to feel numb and soon they felt like they weren’t even part of my body – only heavy bricks.
My friends lived closer and soon they were home. I had to keep walking.
As soon as I reached the house, I ran to the bathroom, took off my shoes and placed my feet in very warm water. My feet turned black and began to swell.
With tears on my cheeks I had to confess I had disobeyed. I learned I had frozen my feet, but thank the Lord, they didn’t require amputation. For days, though, I couldn’t wear my own shoes because my feet were too swollen.
No, I didn’t fall through the ice as I could have if I’d ventured out on the river, but I learned a hard lesson. Parents do their children a favor when they care enough to tell them to avoid risky activities and teach them to obey.
My Heavenly Father had me in mind when He said, “Children obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right” (Ephesians 6:11).
The Lord did us a favor, too, when he told us the consequences of sin: “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 6:22-23).
Knowing that should give us good sense for walking into the future. I plan to remember to resist the devil when he comes lying and disturbing my faith, or trying to lead me astray because the Bible tells us if we resist, Satan will flee from us.
In these days when wickedness is touted as righteousness and righteousness is maligned as wicked, we need extra power and the whole armor of God to keep our eyes on Jesus. When we’re committed to Him, we’ll walk in victory.
©Ada Brownell 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment