Wednesday, March 4, 2015

WHAT DO YOU NEED GOD TO DO FOR YOU?


By Ada Brownell
(Adapted from Ada Brownell's book, Imagine the Future You Here)

Before you know what you hope for your tomorrows, think about who you are.
Below is a little profile I did of myself, and you can create a similar one for you, pointing out why you are the person you at least think you are.
1. I’ve been known to be a little scatterbrained. For instance, I once turned off the water in our mobile home that my husband kept running in the bathtub so the water pipes wouldn’t freeze. I forgot to turn the water back on after I took a bath. I threw a big coat over my nightgown and went out to thaw out the pipes (my husband was working out of town). The door froze shut and I was locked outside in 30-below freezing temperatures at 2 o’clock in the morning.
2. I’m fun loving. I’ve always loved games. I play board and card games like Rook, but my favorites are action games such as tennis, volleyball, badminton, swimming, baseball. I even enjoy walking, jogging, swinging.
3. Despite being a redhead with a temper that the Lord works on, I have a sense of humor. In high school, I won a trophy for being best actress in a comedy one-act play contest. A judge took me aside and told me I could go to Hollywood as another Lucille Ball. Was she thinking talent or red hair?  What I really enjoy is telling humorous stories about myself.
4. I enjoy working and seeing things done, everything polished and organized. I used to say turning a kitchen from messy to clean is like creating a piece of art. After marriage, a clean nicely decorated house is connected to my self image.
5. I’m a germ-o-phobe. In my mind we can avoid many illnesses. Take the flu shot. Get sunshine and vitamin D for the immune system. Wash those hands. Sanitize. After writing on the medical beat for seven years also I believe in using bleach on everything after preparing meat in the kitchen, or after a person with a cold visits our house. Guess that brings up bacteria-o-phobe. No rare meat, especially hamburger--and chicken juices should run clear when cooked. No red or pink anywhere. I always have grilled chicken heated twice when eating out. I came down with salmonella from grilled chicken about a half dozen times from restaurants. No more. Heat it twice, or I order deep fried. Grease is better than germs.
6. I’m a seeker of knowledge. I’ve been a student of the Bible since I was about 14, and prayed for wisdom all my adult life. I enjoy picking people’s brains, in-depth research, and anything that keeps me filled with truth.
7. I love romance. To me the most romantic words ever spoken are “I love you. I want to marry you and I will love only you until death parts us.” My husband and I made that vow and kept to it now for many decades. I read squeaky clean inspirational historical romance books with a lead character I like and sympathize with that has a big problem that needs solved.
How to probe who you are
Ask yourself: What or who do I fear? What do I value? What is most important to me? What do I cry about? What makes me laugh? What have I done that I enjoyed? What have I done that I’m proud of? What is the one thing I would like to do before Jesus comes or I die? When I am sad, who do I talk to? Who would I like to help? Who have you helped that you didn’t have to?
What do I know that I would like to share? What would I like to learn? Do I want God in my life? How has not knowing or knowing Jesus affected me?
 WHAT WILL YOU BE LIKE TOMORROW?
Now write a description of who you are now. In another column or on another page describe what sort of person you would like to become and how you plan to accomplish this change.
If you don’t know Jesus, think about how He showed His love for you by dying on the cross so you could live forever. Have you experienced the floods of joy that the writer of Since Jesus Came into My Heart[1] wrote about when he said “floods of joy o’er my soul like sea billows roll?”
Like Lazarus, whose body had been lying cold, still, and stinking in the tomb, then at Jesus’ command came alive, the sinner awakens to new life.
Baptism is a testimony to the whole world that you have experienced that spiritual resurrection. The newness of life comes through our Redeemer, who is the only One who can rescue humans from sin and death. Peter said it right after Pentecost, “Neither is there Salvation in any other; for there is no other name given among men, whereby we must be saved” (Acts 4:12).
Then, pray for God to lead you in your tomorrows, to bless you, and believe with the Apostle Paul, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13).
©Ada Brownell 2015




[1] The Rodeheaver Co. Copyright 1905; Renewal 1933 Words: Rufus H. McDaniel, 1914. Music: Charles H. Gabriel, 1914.

No comments:

Post a Comment