Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Soothing Words for the Hurting by Ronda Hunter Knuth


By Ronda Knuth

 “Heaviness in the heart of man maketh it stoop: but a good word maketh it glad.”
Proverbs 12:25


Rarely do we mean to wound, or offend by the words we speak- but, it happens. Here are some suggestions for sensitive, caring words to share:

I’m so sorry. I’m sorry that you are having to go through this experience.  I’m sorry for your loss.
 
I know this is very difficult for you.
I care about you.
I want to hear, whatever you want to share with me.
I haven’t been through an experience like this. Would you help me to understand how you feel?
I know that God is holding your face in His great hands, and kissing you tenderly.
Don’t run away from your pain, lean into it.
 
Tears are a gift from God meant to soothe and cleanse your hurting soul.
Endurance is not just the ability to bear a hard thing, but to turn it into glory. William Barclay
 
I believe in you and in your ability to get through this...
"It hurts, doesn't it?" 
What you are feeling is normal.
God is not a disinterested observer.  He's not just looking on. He is involved.
God gives us time and space to work through the complexities of life.  
Don't beat yourself up over this, o.k.?
 
What can I do to encourage you this week?
We're in this together.  You're not alone.
Be gentle with yourself as you go through this.  Grieving is hard work.
God is big enough, and strong enough to care for you.
This must be so painful for you.  I want to help you hurt.
You’re doing a much job than you are giving yourself credit for!
“May I pray with you?
"You're in my prayers." 
“I don’t know what to say, but I care.”
 "I've been thinking about you." 
"Call me anytime. If you need me, I'll come over." 
"We love you!" 
“Just coming by to make sure you're alright!" 

Be a comfort today to someone who is hurting. Encourage and build them up. (1 Thessalonians 5:11 NIV)

Reprinted with permission from The Way: Christianity Without Walls

 

Prayer:

“Kind words heal and help; cutting words wound and maim. (Proverbs 15:4). Let the words of my mouth and mediation of my heart be acceptable in your sight Lord. You are my strength and my redeemer. (Psalm 19:14). Amen”


When Memory Fades -  When Ronda Knuth learned that she was to be the 2014 regional recipient of the "Joy in Service" award for the Assisted Living organization where she is employed she questioned,
"How is it that I am being given an award for simply loving?" Ronda is passionate about seniors, and is especially drawn to those who contend daily with Alzheimer's disease and other related dementias. Her book, When Memory Fades: Sunrise Stories of Real People, shares heart-warming stories of senior adults who have touched her life.

Bio:
Ronda Knuth lives in Lakewood, CO, with her husband Rob. She is a mother of four, grandmother of four, and mother-in-love of three. Ronda is a freelance writer and a regular contributor to the Network 211.com, with many articles published on their Global Christian Center website. She is also a regular contributor in the United Kingdom, to The Way.co.uk on their subscription service daily devotionals; published online.

Ronda Knuth received the Sunrise Senior Living 2013 Western Region ‘Joy in Service Award’, The company recognized her dedication, to making the Sunrise Senior Living at Pinehurst Denver, Colorado, residents’ lives the happiest and best they can be. Her first published book, When Memory Fades: Sunrise Stories from Real People, is available in both print and Kindle editions.

Her second book, Breathe: This Too Shall Pass is also available in both print and Kindle editions.
“In Breathe: This Too Shall Pass, Ronda has captured the isolation that so many of us feel in life’s experiences, and reminded us we are not alone. We can take the encouragement of this book, and find a resolve, that can lead us through the circumstances that seem to overwhelm us.”- Dr. Vince Gappa

Her personal life story has been told in, "The Unmasking: Married to a Rapist" by author Kevin Flynn and in "The Triumph Book: Stories of Tragedy Turned into Triumph" by author Melanie Davis. Learn more about Ronda at her website: http://rondasrestingplace.net

Buy When Memory Fades here:

No comments:

Post a Comment